Seed Adoption SpecialistPopular
One Acre Fund is developing new business units to push innovation in retail, finance and marketing in rural communities. One of these units is the Seed Adoption Campaign, which aims to build access and demand for improved seed across Tanzania.
Improved seed can generate significant increases in yield and farm productivity, with minimal behaviour change required. However, adoption of improved seed is lower than 25% in many Sub-Saharan countries. Increasing adoption of improved seed in Tanzania represents millions of dollars of potential impact for smallholder farmers.
Seed-related innovations are one of the organisation’s highest priority areas for generating impact for farmers and the Seed Adoption Campaign will continue to grow rapidly in both work scope and team size, serving over 150,000 farmers in the 2018-19 farming season. The goal for most innovations like this is to scale them to reach huge populations of smallholder farmers, generating as much impact as possible.
We are seeking exceptional individuals to join this team. Strong candidates would be managing region-wide and nationwide ventures to expand the Seed Adoption Campaign, supporting farmers in new markets.
- High-level strategy planning – develop, evaluate and prioritise innovations within the trial to increase impact. While the existing programme is a strong model, the team is always looking to further increase impact for farmers. The Seed Team Program Associate will be responsible for developing and implementing operational and marketing plan improvements and new product and program innovations.
- Trial data analysis – work with the monitoring and evaluation team to design trials and data collection plans to effectively evaluate impact through data analysis
- Collaborate with internal teams – Work with other departments and global research teams to build programme solutions and innovations. Communicate updates and results to key stakeholders.
- Scout new locations – develop assessment criteria to scout and find the best locations to achieve high impact for smallholder farmers.
- Coordinate with internal and external partners – collaborate and manage relationships with key partners. This includes people from other departments but also executives from seed companies, local distribution partners, government officials, etc.
- Plan and manage budgets – monitor current budgets and forecast budgets for expansion and other programme innovations.
- Identify and manage operational risks.
- Identify opportunities to improve operations and program performance, through weekly tracking of Key Performance Indicators, identifying and executing on process improvements, and highlighting opportunities to make the program run more smoothly.
- Build and manage a team – hire, develop and lead a team to effectively execute operations in the field.
- Invest heavily in the development of staff, including training, tailored development plans, and support to team morale.
- Design and execute for massive scale, by building systems for performance management of a large field team.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking 5+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for poverty alleviation. Candidates who match the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experience. Examples include: a demanding professional work experience; successful entrepreneurial experience.
- Experience developing innovative ideas and opportunities. We are seeking someone who is able to contribute to operations and strategy development.
- Leadership experience at work or outside of work.
- Relationship building skills with public and private sector actors.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humour, patience and a humble approach to serving smallholder farmers.
Language: English and Kiswahili required
No agriculture-specific experience required
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
To Apply Click Here
Note: We are not able to sponsor a visa for this position.